Patio PD / Fireside PD
This is not your usual Professional Development, but it should be. It’s on my Patio (and maybe yours). Read about it here: Blog by Adrianne Burns
Principles of PatioPD:
1. We like learning together
2. We like our families
3. Breaking bread and camaraderie enhance creativity
4. Informal, personalized, low-stress professional development is useful, powerful, and energizing.
5. Sharing and learning exactly what we need honors professionals and learners
6. Learning collectively builds community right near us, while connecting us world-wide
Let’s get together on my patio to make this happen (e-mail me for the address jbretzmann AT bretzmanngroup.com). Then again, let’s get together on EVERYONE’S patio to make it happen.
We will schedule at least six in-person patio sessions that participants can choose from (July 11 is International #patiopd Day!). Additional and impromptu sessions could happen upon request.
>>>>>2017 PATIO PD DATES and TIMES<<<<<
June 21, 9-noon, Wednesday
June 27, 9-noon, Tuesday
July 11, 9-noon (International Patio PD Day), Tuesday
July 19, 9-noon, Wednesday
July 25, 9-noon, Tuesday
August 9, 9-noon (IF NEEDED), Wednesday
- This is gonna’ be great!
- Participants for graduate credit will be required to show up for at least three of the sessions. Everybody else is welcome at any time for any amount of time.
- Participants for graduate credit will choose from one of three strands
- 1. Creating & Designing the Flipped Classroom (MTI 568)
- 2. Flipping 2.0: The Next Steps (MTI 569) or
- 3. Technology Use to Engage Every Learner (MTI 567)
- Please indicate “PatioPD” in the promotional code of the Registration Form (for clerical purposes).
- Participants will learn what they need within their strand with Jason Bretzmann, Kenny Bosch, and/or other experts as their guides (bring a friend!).
- Participants for graduate credit will create a blog or micro-blog account (e.g. Twitter) to share what they learn, reflect and connect to learn more with others.
- 3 Graduate Credits come from fully accredited Calumet College in Indiana
- Bringing families and sharing meals will be encouraged as they will allow for more participation and create a more collaborative atmosphere (kids playing, adults learning, snacks right there when you need them).
- Live tweeting will be optional at #personalizedPD & #PatioPD
- Other ideas will be added, subtracted or enhanced as better ideas emerge
If you’re searching for PatioPD on location for D158 educators with Gerry Marchand near Huntley, IL please CLICK HERE
If you’re searching for PatioPD on location with Jarod Bormann near Elkader, IA please CLICK HERE
If you’re searching for PatioPD on location with Dan Winkeler near St. Louis, MO please CLICK HERE
If you’re searching for PatioPD on location with Mandy Taylor near Machaca, TX please CLICK HERE
If you’re searching for PatioPD on location with Mandy Froehlich near Oshkosh, WI please CLICK HERE
The Story Behind Patio PD & Fireside PD
Kenny Bosch and I discussed this for a while, and Chuck Taft, Michael Matera, and Pamela Nosbusch were doing a version of it at the University School of Milwaukee with their staff. But after spending about 16 and 19 hours stuck in airports on the way home from speaking at CanFlip14 and FlipCon14 respectively, Kenny and I decided we had to make this happen. We needed another way to share, connect, and learn. This had to be a better way. Since we like our families, we like staying home (and not sleeping on airport benches), and we know others sometimes see family obligations and travel as obstacles to attending or presenting at far away places, we decided to try to bring it close to home. We also like learning, sharing, and connecting with educators. So in an effort to do it all, we decided to make #PatioPD a reality. We decided to have everybody come here. Sure, why not! We’ll have everybody over to the patio, hang out, and learn together. We invited people. They showed up. They loved the personalized learning that was taking place. “This is exactly what I needed,” is what we heard over and over. And then when all the sessions were done for the summer, we heard some others say that they couldn’t make it in the summer, but “If you had something in the winter, I could make that.” #FiresidePD was born. It was even better. Even more educators (but fewer kids than summer). Natural, wood-burning fireplace. Experts joined us (like engaging classroom expert Chuck Taft, gamification expert Michael Matera, Teach Like a PIRATE expert Andrea Kornowski, and others). They led some great discussions. The next summer the #PatioPD was a little bigger, and even better than before. Then we add the International #patioPD Day, and it was awesome! The story continues. We hope you’ll be part of it with us, or re-create it on your patio, or near your fireplace.